Knowing what to do in case of accident or another dental emergency can help save a tooth and prevent further complications. Here are some tips on dealing with common emergency situations:
- Knocked out adult tooth. Contact a dentist without delay. Continuously the tooth moist while you get to the dental clinic. This can be done by keeping it in the mouth, in milk or in a tooth preservation product.
- Cracked tooth. Gently clean the area by rinsing it with warm water. Use compresses if swelling occurs.
- Bit tongue or lip. Rinse the area with warm water, then apply a cold compress to keep swelling down.
- Object stuck in mouth. Carefully use floss in an attempt to remove it. Never use a pointed instrument.
- Toothache. Rinse the mouth with warm water and gently floss to remove stuck food. Never put aspirin on the gums or a tooth.
In the case of dental emergency, you should see a Bala Cynwyd dentist or go to the emergency room without delay.
It’s always better to avoid a dental accident in the first place. To reduce the risk of tooth injury, always wear a mouthguard when participating in contact sports, avoid chewing excessively hard foods like popcorn kernels and never use your teeth to cut or open things.